Friday, November 7, 2008

Because Saying It In Moore is More Fun

While in training, I am learning both French and the local language, Moore. In Burkina it is customary to greet everyone. And I don't just mean greet them, but also, ask how their day is going, how their family is, and how their work is. Even if your neighbor asks you these questions in front of the other neighbors and they hear your answers, they are still obliged to ask you the same questions. I mostly get laughed at by the locals when I try to speak Moore. But it is all good. I think they find it endearing that the Nasarra(Westerner) from the States is trying to speak the local dialect. Nonetheless, learning Moore is proving to be quite difficult. Most of the time I only speak the few phrases that I know. When the locals ask me a question that I do not know, I just say 'laafi' which literally means health. In Burkina, laafi is everyone's answer to everything. After saying laafi enough times, the locals understand that I have no idea what they are talking about. Well no....I am pretty sure they understand that I have no idea what the are talking about from beginning because I usually have this pained look on my face that looks like I am trying to do a long division math problem in my head.

The following is a list of common Moore phrases:

Ne y yibeeoogo= Good morning.
Y yibeoog yaa laafi= How's it going?
Laafi bala. Y zak ramba= It is going well. And how is the family?
Laafi. Mam your la a Brittany= It is well. My name is Brittany.
Fo yamb wumda moor bii= Do you understand Moore?
Ko-yuund n tar mam= I am thirsty.
Fo rebda yeene=Where are you going?
Yaa tuulgo= It is hot.

1 comment:

Fred said...

Hello, reading about your experience takes me back the days when I lived there
Fred