Thursday, December 18, 2008

Happy Kill the Native Americans and Steal Their Turkeys Day....One Month Late

Ahhhhh…the best meal I have since my arrival in Burkina! For dinner, most of the trainees split up in small groups and made one or two dishes. With a few of my friends, I made deviled eggs and sweet potatoes. From the looks of the pictures, they don’t look very good but they were actually quite delicious. It is possible to make American food in the bigger cities but it is quite expensive and you would have to go to multiple markets to find the different ingredients. However, since none of us had ovens/some ingredients, we had to be creative and make all of our dishes without them. At the start of dinner, I was already uncomfortably full because my stomach was weird that day (at this point I had had nothing to eat for the day; my giardia had also not been diagnosed yet). But I did not care about this small detail. I forced my self to eat, and eat, and eat. And eat, I did. There was so much food! Here, if good food in involved (food that you normally cannot find in country), we will stuff ourselves. When the SED group went to the Associate Peace Corps Director’s (APCD) house for Mexican food, they ate so much that the majority of them puked and then went back for seconds. Appetizing, right? This makes me even more excited for Christmas dinner when we are going to go to a Lebanese restaurant. At our Thanksgiving dinner, there was stuffing, pumpkin pie, rice pudding, brownies, deviled eggs, fruit, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, salad, green beans, goat, and turkey (the US Embassy sent us butterball turkey from the states). We also had a goat—a week or so after our arrival we visited the chief of the Ouahigouya region and as a gift he gave us a goat. We named the goat, “Turkey,” and decided that we would eat it for Thanksgiving. One of the health volunteers “adopted” the turkey and brought it to her village to fatten it up until it would meet its fate.

No comments: