Tuesday, January 5, 2010

World AIDS Week

To celebrate World AIDS day my counterpart, Ganga, and I, organized and conducted a World AIDS week with all of the local primary schools within the aire sanitaire of my village. Each day we would visit a different primary school and conduct AIDS activities and games to teach an array of AIDS related themes ranging from the biology of AIDS to sex. The week went really well as we were able to educate more than 400 kids on AIDS awareness and prevention. Given the sensitivity of the topic some topics covered proved for awkward/funny but informative nonetheless moments. For example, at one point during the day I was discussing the different types of sexual acts that can transmit the virus e.g. oral, anal, and vaginal sex. Now I can list these acts but I cannot explain them eloquently; hence, I turned to my counterpart and was like, “Ganga, by all means.” Ganga starts cracking up like a little school boy with a smile a mile long and was like, “Todara, we cannot explain these to the class. They are just children.” I responded, “Ganga, some of these primary school “kids” are 16, 17, 20, years old(however the majority are between 10-13). Do you not think they haven’t already engaged in sexual activity? It’s important to explain it. Besides, their parents obviously do not talk to them about it so where will they get the information? Anyhow, I am sure you can explain it a lot more eloquently than I can. I naturally tend to use a lot of gestures/hand movements when I speak. Now, if I am at a loss of words and/or I am trying to explain an idea that is difficult to convey, my gestures go ten-fold. Let’s see here…me and my perhaps crude gestures or you explaining it eloquently in French?” Chuckling, Ganga agreed and proceeded to explain the different types of sexual acts. Unfortunately, we did not have enough time to elaborate fully on abstinence and the things you can do you prolong it e.g. masturbation. I blush at the drop of a pin and this may have been one of those moments. If we had had the time, I would have gladly talked about it. There were times when Ganga’s immaturity, if you would call it that, annoyed me. For example, I was trying to explain to the students that just because they have a girlfriend or a boyfriend does not mean they have to engage in sexual activity. Having a girlfriend/boyfriend can mean that they value the friendship of a special boy or girl and they want to spend more time with them. Ganga, the nympho, starts cracking up like what I just said was just preposterous. I turned to him and was like, “Shut up! You ruining the message and wrecking the moment!” I also stressed that I did not care if they engaged in sexual activity or decided to be abstinent, I just cared about that if they did engage in sexual activity Nonetheless, we worked really well together and the week went off without a hitch.
On the topic of AIDS, I had a really nice visit from the Chief’s 19 year old son a couple of weeks back. I always like when people stop by my place to ask questions about health. I think he heard about my AIDS week and came to inquire if mosquitoes could transmit AIDS. Our conversation was great and we talked about AIDS, sex, relationships; I even made him practice putting a condom on wooden penis. When he was leaving I told him he could come ask me about anything—it did not necessarily have to be health related. And if I did not know the answer I would Google it in Ouaga. He was like, “Google what?” I laughed at my slip as clearly he would not have had heard of Google. I was then like, “I just meant to say I will find out for you.”

No comments: